So earlier I put up my recipe for perfect rice and I have to be honest, it wasn’t just out of the goodness of my heart. I was expecting to be eating alone tonight but Wife’s plans got rearranged and now my M&S ready meal for one wasn’t going to suffice – unless we ‘bulked it up’ somehow…
The idea was a simple fried rice, there’s very little fresh stuff in the house tonight so it needed to be really simple. The recipe I’ve followed tonight comes from the Chinese Food section of About.com which really is a great resource.
The recipe I went for in the end, as I say simple, can be found here. This will serve 4 – 6 people.
- 1 – 2 spring onions, as desired
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons oil for stir-frying, or as needed
- 4 cups cold cooked rice
- 1 – 2 tablespoons light soy sauce or oyster sauce, as desired
Method of Preparation:
- Wash and finely chop the spring onion.
- Lightly beat the eggs with the salt and pepper.
- Heat a wok or frying pan and add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the eggs.
- Cook, stirring, until they are lightly scrambled but not too dry then remove the eggs and clean out the pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil. When oil is hot, add the rice.
- Stir-fry for a few minutes, using chopsticks or a wooden spoon to break it apart. Stir in the soy sauce or oyster sauce as desired.
- When the rice is heated through, add the scrambled egg back into the pan. Mix thoroughly. Stir in the spring onion.
- Serve hot
It’s a really simple dish to do and the flexibility you have is outstanding. We didn’t even have any spring onions in the house so I used red onion instead. I did this by chopping it really quite small and putting it in to soften before I put the rice in to fry. It worked really well.
You now have a multitude of options, you can stir some cooked meat through it, add a whole load of vegetables, try it with different sauces, there’s loads. Just remember though to increase the amount of egg along with the amount of extras.
I’m really interested to hear what you guys come up with using this simple fried rice base so get in touch