If you’ve read the lamb kofta recipe you’ll see that my original plan was to cook them up and just dip into some of my favourite Blue Dragon sweet chilli sauce. The recipe I found however had its own recipe for a sweet chilli sauce, I had some time and thought I’d give it a go. See all the original recipes for lamb kofta, coriander humous, chilli sauce and pitta breads on the BBC Food website here.
- 50g sugar
- 150ml water
- 1in/2cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- ½ chilli, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, finely chopped
- Splash of rice wine vinegar
- Splash of fish sauce
Method of Preparation:
- Place the sugar and water into a non-reactive saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved and the liquid has reduced to a thick syrup.
- Add the grated ginger, chilli and garlic to the pan and add a splash of rice wine vinegar and a splash of fish sauce. Stir well and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer the chilli sauce mixture into a food processor and blend until smooth, then cover and chill in the fridge until needed.15 minutes to prepare and it is beautiful.
It tastes very similar to my favourite brand but a lot fresher. I’ve still got a bottle of Blue Dragon in the cupboard but if I’ve got the time I’ll be making my own from now on. Here it is served.