There was some chicken in the fridge and I really didn’t know what to do with it. Wife has said she’d prefer a few dishes with less carbohydrates this week so I started thinking about sauces, back to the fridge.
I found some lime, chilli and onion and I knew I had some garlic so that was where I started. Then I remembered a chilli sauce with lime that we’d picked up (at TK Maxx of all places) and it was in the cupboard next to a bottle of tequila – it had all started to come together so I got cracking.
- 450g boneless, skinless, chicken thighs cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 red chilli, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp Frank’s Chile n’ Lime sauce
- 125ml tequila
- 1 tbsp mild chilli powder
Method of Preparation
- Prepare and then mix all ingredients into a large bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large pan or wok and then, on a medium high heat, stir fry the entire mixture until the sauce thickens slightly – about 6 or 7 minutes
- Serve with whatever you like, we went for a simple mixed leaf salad
That’s it, super easy and, if I do say so myself, super tasty. The lime comes through really well, there’s a little bit of heat and the crunch from the onions really works. Served with the salad it was all fresh, in fact do you know what, this was just brilliant and I’ll definitely be doing it again…